4 racetracks in 4 provinces, tote betting in 7
Horseracing & Tote Betting
Phumelela conducts horseracing and operates tote betting under the TAB banner in four of South Africa's nine provinces - Gauteng, the hub of the country's horseracing industry, Free State, the Eastern Cape and the Northern Cape. Phumelela also operates tote betting in Mpumalanga, North West and Limpopo provinces, all of which have no racecourses.
Phumelela racecourses by province:
- • Gauteng: Turffontein (Standside & Inside tracks, both turf)
• Free State: Vaal (Outside, Inside & Classic, all turf)
• Eastern Cape: Fairview (turf track and synthetic track - Polytrack)
- • Northern Cape: Flamingo Park (sand track)
Phumelela also manages horseracing in the Western Cape, where there are two racecourses:
- * Kenilworth (Summer and Winter courses, both turf)
- * Durbanville (turf track)
In Phumelela regions, prize money for races is governed by a stakes agreement between Phumelela and The Racing Association, which represents the interests of racehorse owners in Phumelela regions.
Phumelela Publishing produces several horseracing publications including:
Phumelela also operates horse-training centres at Randjesfontein and Turffontein Racecourse in Johannesburg, the Vaal Racecourse near Vereeniging, Fairview Racecourse in Port Elizabeth and Flamingo Park Racecourse in Kimberley, as well as a horse transport division to ferry horses from training centres to racecourses on racedays.
All tote bets taken in South Africa are commingled (combined) into national tote pools through Phumelela’s tote betting system, which was developed and is maintained by USA company Amtote. Provincial gambling boards regulate tote betting and all tote equipment has South African Bureau of Standards approval.
Phumelela's tote system can also commingle internationally and hosts the global tote betting pools on the Dubai International Racing Carnival and Dubai World Cup Night (the richest race meeting in the world) on behalf of Dubai horseracing.
Through the Tellytrack partnership with Gold Circle and Kenilworth Racing, Phumelela also manages Tellytrack, South African horseracing’s exclusive television channel on channel 239 DStv.
• Computaform - South Africa's premier horseracing form guide and the publication of choice for the sport’s high rollers. Computaform is the official racecard for all Phumelela race meetings, is sold in retail outlets and is also available online at www.tabonline.co.za and www.computaformonline.co.za
• Computaform Express - the premier multi-meeting horseracing form guide. Computaform Express is published twice weekly and offers great value because each edition covers four to six race meetings. The weekend edition embraces all South African race meetings from Friday through Sunday, while the midweek edition covers all South African meetings Monday through Thursday.
• Racing Express - an extremely popular eight-page horseracing insert in major Gauteng daily newspaper The Citizen on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Collectively, the three editions of Racing Express weekly cover all South African race meetings in the week. Racing Express Extra, a four-page pullout, appears in The Citizen on Tuesdays and Thursdays and on Saturdays there’s the eight-page Form Focus. They carry the latest info for South African and international meetings on the day of publication
Phumelela Publishing is also responsible for transmitting racecard information on South African race meetings to overseas, as well as formatting and disseminating information on racing in foreign countries to South African horseplayers.
The combination of Tellytrack, a state-of-the-art tote betting system and a publishing division, has enabled Phumelela to dramatically expand the number of betting opportunities on horseracing offered to horseplayers in South Africa through the use of overseas racing.
In addition to local races, South African horseracing fans can watch and bet on the cream of international racing daily.
Phumelela has expanded tote betting in South Africa beyond the borders of horseracing with a range of pools bets on soccer and rugby. There’s also Soccer GG, the exciting fusion bet that combines the amazing worlds of soccer and horseracing. Get the full details at www.soccer6.co.za and www.rugby5.co.za.
Race meetings at Phumelela and Kenilworth Racing racecourses offer exciting marketing opportunities for both South African companies and global brands, especially Turffontein Racecourse which is one of the most popular banqueting and conferencing venues in Johannesburg. The combination of a network of tote outlets, extensive media coverage within South Africa (total annual value exceeds R500 million) and beyond its borders (South African races are beamed live to dozens of countries weekly), and that horseracing fans come from all walks of life enable Phumelela to provide exciting co-promotional opportunities to match virtually any company's target market.
Phumelela employs about 1,500 people, of whom nearly 80% are from previously disadvantaged backgrounds and enjoy significant representation in junior, middle and senior management.